If you’re on the keto diet, coconut flour is about to become your new favourite ingredient. Low in carbs, and high in nutrients and beneficial fat, coconut flour is the perfect substitute for regular flour. You don’t have to deprive yourself of delicious recipes because they use wheat flour- coconut flour is a great way to enjoy scrumptious recipes and other healthy benefits as well. Ready to find out more about this amazing flour? Take a look at its awesome benefits, as well as 20 keto coconut flour recipes definitely worth trying!
What is Coconut Flour and Why Should You Use It On the Keto Diet?
Coconut flour is ideal for anyone on the keto diet because it’s a low carb alternative to flour. It’s a natural grain- and gluten-free flour produced from dry coconut meat. Coconut flour is a byproduct of coconut milk production. When coconuts are pressed for their milk, bits of coconut meat remain. The coconut meat is then dried at a low temperature and ground into a soft, fine powder ideal to use in cooking. Keep in mind, due to its density, you can’t just sub coconut flour for regular flour. It requires a lot of eggs to bake properly, so make sure to follow coconut flour recipes to a tee.
Benefits of the Keto Diet
1. Weight Loss
If you’re looking to lose weight, the keto diet can help you reach your ideal weight loss goals. Cutting carbs is one of the most effective ways to lose weight, especially when you first get started. Since low carb diets rid your body of excess water and lower insulin levels, you’ll notice significant weight loss in the first couple of weeks on the keto diet. People on low carb diets tend to lose more weight than those on low fat diets, so the keto eating plan is known to be very effective.
2. Appetite Reduction
The keto diet has been linked to lower levels of the hormone ghrelin, which is one of your body’s main hunger hormones. Reducing ghrelin levels reduces your appetite and hunger levels, so you’re less likely to snack and consume unneeded calories during the day. Eating less carbs and eating more protein and fat tends to make people less hungry and they end up consuming way less calories.
3. Reduces Harmful Abdominal Fat
There are two main types of fat in your body, and where fat is stored determines how it affects your health and your risk of disease. There are subcutaneous fat, which is under your skin and visceral fat, which accumulates in your abdominal cavity and is linked with dangerous health problems. Visceral fat can get lodged around your liver, intestines and other organs and can lead to inflammation and insulin resistance. The keto diet reduces this harmful abdominal fat, which reduces your risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
4. Increases Levels of Good Cholesterol
One of the most effective ways to increase good cholesterol is to eat more fat. The keto diet is a low carb, high fat diet, leading to an increase of good cholesterol. The higher the levels of good cholesterol compared to bad cholesterol, the lower your risk of heart disease
5. Mental Clarity
The keto diet isn’t just beneficial for your physical body, it’s beneficial for your mind as well. It’s known to increase mental clarity, and can even help with anxiety and depression. When your body is in ketosis, it helps your brain produce optimal amounts of GABA, an inhibitory neurotransmitter made up of glutamate, the brain’s major excitatory neurotransmitter. When you eat a high carb diet, your brain can’t convert enough glutamate into GABA because it uses glutamate as an energy source. This imbalance can lead to brain fog, which can be overcome with a low carb diet such as keto.
Benefits of Coconut Flour
1. Low in Carbs, High in Nutrients
Coconut is chock full of nutrients, including fibre, protein, and plant-based iron and is also high in healthy fats. It provides medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs)- a type of fat linked to a number of benefits including weight loss, protection against bacteria and viruses, and brain and heart health.
2. Gluten- and Nut-Free
Coconut flour is gluten- and nut-free, so it’s perfect for anyone with food sensitivities. People who are intolerant to gluten experience symptoms ranging from gas, bloating and diarrhea to gut damage and nutrition malabsorption. Coconut flour offers a great alternative to wheat flour or any other flours that contain gluten or nuts.
3. Healthy Digestion
Since coconut flour is so rich in fibre, it’s beneficial for your digestion. Most of the fibre in coconut flour is insoluble, adding bulk to stools and helping food move smoothly through your gut. It also contains a small amount of soluble and other fermentable fibres, feeding the beneficial bacteria in your gut.
How to Use Coconut Flour
Here are 4 quick tips to make sure you get the most out of coconut flour recipes.
1. Since coconut flour is very absorbent, use additional liquid.
2. Use more eggs to give your baked goods more structure and moisture.
3. Add egg yolks into coconut flour and other dry ingredients. Whip the egg whites and fold them into the mixture after for light, fluffy baked goods.
4. Substitute coconut flour for all purpose flour at a 1:4 ratio. Add one egg for every ¼ cup of coconut flour.
20 Keto Coconut Flour Recipes
1. Keto Coconut Flour Pancakes | Bulletproof
2. Coconut Flour Mini Cheese Cakes | Ditch the Carbs
3. Keto Low Carb Coconut Flour Bread | Wholesome Yum
4. Coconut Flour Cookies | Low Carb Yum
5. Keto Coconut Blondies | Sugar Free Londoner
6. Baked Keto Coconut Shrimp | Wholesome Yum
7. Keto Coconut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies | Big Man’s World
8. Coconut Flour Chocolate Keto Mug Cake | Ruled.Me
9. Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese Muffins | Divalicious Recipes
10. No Bake Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies | The Big Man’s World
11. Keto Fathead Bagels | Low Carb Yum
12. Low Carb Pumpkin Pie | The Healing Spoon
13. Cheesy Sausage Puffs | Instrupix
14. Low Carb Coconut Chicken Tenders | Wholesome Yum
15. Healthy No Bake Carrot Cake | Big Man’s World
16. Cinnamon and Walnut Flax Muffins | Forest & Fauna
17. Mini Ketogenic Strawberry Cheesecakes | The Healing Spoon
18. Coconut Flour Flat Bread | Divalicious Recipes
19. 4-Ingredient Coconut Flour Biscuits | My Hearts Beets
20. Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins | Wholesome Yum
If you’re on the keto diet and haven’t tried coconut flour, you’re going to want to whip up these delicious recipes ASAP!